- 2 cups semisweet or milk chocolate pieces (about 12 ounces) or equal amount of white chocolate pieces for a white glaze
- 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening (optional)
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or put the chocolate pieces in a metal bowl and place it over a saucepan of simmering water. This prevents the chocolate from burning (which can easily happen over a direct flame).
- Adding vegetable shortening (such as Crisco) helps keep the chocolate liquidy and gives it extra sheen but is not necessary.
- The chocolate will melt slowly, so leave it alone (no need to stir) and watch carefully.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted, you can use it as a dip or drizzle it over the cookies.
This recipe makes 1 cup.