- 1 14-ounce package sweetened shredded coconut (about 5 cups)
- 4 large egg whites
- ⅔ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
- Heat oven to 325° F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut, egg whites, sugar, flour, salt, and vanilla.
- Drop packed tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 1 inch apart.
- Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until lightly golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- When cool, dip the bottom of each macaroon in the chocolate and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm, 20 to 30 minutes. Store the macaroons in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days.