- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted almonds, chopped
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- Heat oven to 325° F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter, eggs, and vanilla on medium speed until combined. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually mix in the flour mixture just until combined (do not overmix). Gently fold in the almonds and cherries.
- Shape the dough into 2 12-by-3-inch logs. Place the logs on a large baking sheet and bake until just golden around the edges and firm to the touch, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 15 minutes.
- With a serrated knife, cut each loaf into ½-inch-thick slices. Place in a single layer on 2 baking sheets and bake until dry and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer the biscotti to a rack to cool completely.
Storage suggestion: Keep the biscotti at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.