- 4 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes in puree
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (1 3/4 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces Cheddar, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- cut-up avocado, cilantro sprigs, and lime wedges for serving
- Heat oven to 400° F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tortilla strips with 1 tablespoon of the oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Spread in a single layer and bake, tossing once, until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the chipotles and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes (breaking them up with a spoon), ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, add the chicken thighs, reduce heat, and simmer until cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and, using 2 forks, shred the meat. Return the chicken to the pot and stir in the lime juice.
- Serve the soup topped with the tortilla strips, Cheddar, avocado, cilantro, and lime wedges.