- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2 15.5-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen)
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Grated Cheddar, lime wedges, and tortilla chips, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the broth and quinoa and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the quinoa is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the chickpeas, corn, and tomatoes. Cook until the vegetables are warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve the soup topped with the cilantro, avocado, Cheddar, lime wedges, and chips.