- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 10-ounce box frozen peas and carrots
- 1 3- to 4-pound store-bought rotisserie chicken, meat shredded
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 refrigerated 9-inch piecrusts (from a 15-ounce package, such as Pillsbury)
- Heat oven to 400° F. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in the broth. Cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the peas and carrots, chicken, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Cut each piecrust in half. Spoon the chicken mixture over one side of each half-circle, leaving a ½-inch border. Using your fingers, wet the border with water. Fold the crust over the chicken. Press to seal. Make three 1-inch slits in the top of each.
- Transfer the empanadas to a baking sheet. Bake until golden, 15 to 18 minutes.