- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound sweet cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup Kirsch or brandy
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cherries, sugar, salt, and 1 to 3 tablespoons water (depending on how juicy the cherries are). Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cherries are tender and the liquid is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the Kirsch and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is slightly thickened and the alcohol is cooked off, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice. Remove the skillet from the heat and swirl in the remaining tablespoon of butter. Serve warm over the ice cream.