- 2 cups dried fruit (such as cherries, raisins, and chopped apricots)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- kosher salt
- 1/2 pound creamy cheese (such as Camembert, Brie, or fresh goat)
- 1/2 pound nutty cheese (such as aged Gouda or Gruyère)
- 1 pound sharp cheese (such as aged manchego or Cheddar)
- 1 pound crackers and thin gingersnaps
- 1 pound grapes
- 3/4 pound kumquats
- In a large saucepan, combine the dried fruit, sugar, 1 cup water, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened slightly, 4 to 6 minutes; let cool.
- Serve the cheeses with the crackers, gingersnaps, dried fruit compote, grapes, and kumquats.