- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime (or lemon) juice
- 6 cups (1 1/2 10-ounce packages) shredded carrots
- 3 cups shredded purple cabbage (3/4 10-ounce package)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint or parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons salted sunflower seed kernels
- Core and slice the apple; toss in 1 tablespoon of the lime juice. Place carrots and cabbage in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit 5 minutes; drain and cool slightly.
- Whisk together oil, shallot, the remaining lime juice, salt, and cumin; add freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Toss carrots, cabbage, and apple in a large bowl with dressing, mint, and sunflower seeds. Serve at room temperature or chilled.