- 1 pound store-bought pizza dough, thawed if frozen
- cornmeal for the pan
- 1 pound butternut squash—peeled, seeded, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar (6 ounces)
- 1 bunch arugula, thick stems discarded (about 4 cups)
- Heat oven to 425° F. Shape the dough into a large oval and place on a cornmeal-dusted baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, toss the squash, onion, pine nuts, thyme, 1 tablespoon of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Scatter over the dough and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until golden brown and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Toss the arugula with the remaining tablespoon of oil and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve with the flat bread.