- 3/4 pound Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup buttermilk or whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan with 3 quarts of cold water and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well and return to saucepan; mash.
- Heat the butter and buttermilk in a small saucepan until hot. Pour over the potatoes and stir well. Season with the pepper, nutmeg, and the remaining salt.