- For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- ¾ cup natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1½ cups whole milk
- For the frosting:
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 20 drops green food coloring
- pinch fine salt
- 6 inches black shoestring licorice, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 pretzel sticks, broken in half
- 1½ tablespoons black sugar
- 1½ teaspoons white sanding sugar
- 1½ teaspoons black sprinkles
- 24 yellow candy dots
- Make the cupcakes: heat oven to 350°F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients and milk alternately, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and mixing well between additions. Mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin tins and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the frosting: beat the marshmallow fluff, butter, confectioner’s sugar, food coloring, and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Frost the cupcakes, dividing evenly.
For each Frankenstein cupcake: sprinkle ¼ teaspoon black sanding sugar across the top of the cupcake for the hair. Place 1 piece of the licorice underneath the hair to make the eyebrows. Place two yellow dots under the licorice to make the eyes. Use 8 black sprinkles below the eyes to make the mouth. Use 4 black sprinkle next to the eyes to make the scar. Insert the pretzel rods into the sides near the bottom to make the electrodes.
For each The Bride cupcake: use ¼ teaspoon white sanding sugar to make two 1-inch stripes of grey hair 1-inch in from the sides of the top of the cupcake. Use ½ teaspoon black sugar to fill in around the grey hair. Place two yellow candy dots under the hair to make the eyes. Use 4 black sprinkles above the eyes to make the eyebrows. Use 8 black sprinkles below the eyes to make the mouth.