Food Recipes Think You're Not a Bloody Mary Fan? This Recipe Will Change Your Mind 3.6 (34) 1 Review This delicious drink will convert every Hair of the Dog hater. By Betty Gold Betty Gold Betty Gold is a food writer and editor with more than a decade’s experience working on titles such as Food Network Magazine, Bon Appetit, and Good Housekeeping. She is the former senior digital food editor at Real Simple and is currently overseeing all food and nutritional content for Well+Good as senior food editor. Real Simple's Editorial Guidelines and Kate Merker Kate Merker Kate Merker is the chief food director at Hearst Magazines. She has over two decades of experience producing food content for print and digital publications, including Real Simple. Highlights: * At Real Simple, Kate worked her way up from editorial assistant to senior food editor * Served as food and nutrition director at Woman's Day for seven years * Joined Hearst Magazines as chief food director (2017) Real Simple's Editorial Guidelines Updated on January 5, 2021 Print Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Getty Images Hands On Time: 10 mins Total Time: 10 mins Yield: 4 serves Jump to Nutrition Facts It's rumored that the first bloody mary was concocted in 1921 by French bartender Fernand Petiot at the New York Bar in Paris, a popular hangout for Earnest Hemingway and other arty American expats. Originally, it was just a blend of vodka and tomato juice, but lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and salt eventually made their way into the classic Hair of the Dog hangover cure cocktail. This delicious rendition kicks it up another notch, thanks to the addition of horseradish, hot sauce, celery salt, pepperoncini peppers, and fresh celery sticks. Trust me—I used to avoid this boozy brunch bev myself until I tried this recipe. Ingredients 3 cups tomato juice ¾ cup (6 ounces) vodka ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce (such as Tabasco) ½ teaspoon celery salt 4 pepperoncini peppers plus 1 tablespoon of the brine ¼ teaspoon black pepper 4 stalks celery Directions In a large pitcher, combine the tomato juice, vodka, lemon juice, horseradish, Worcestershire, hot sauce, celery salt, pepperoncini brine, and black pepper. Serve over ice with the celery stalks and pepperoncini garnish. Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 152 Calories 11g Carbs 2g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 152 % Daily Value * Sodium 884mg 38% Total Carbohydrate 11g 4% Total Sugars 7g Protein 2g Calcium 28mg 2% Iron 1mg 6% *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.