- 1 pound beets, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons crushed fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 5 ounces greens (such as mâche; about 6 cups)
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1/3 cup halved cornichons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- brie and bread, for serving
- Heat oven to 400° F. Toss the beets, potatoes, fennel, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and ½ teaspoon salt on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, tossing once, until tender, 24 to 28 minutes. Let cool.
- Toss the roasted beets and potatoes, mâche, avocados, cornichons, lemon juice, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Serve the salad with the Brie and bread.