- olive oil for the baking sheet
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4-ounce package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Parmesan
- 1 12-ounce bottle beer, preferably ale
- flour for the work surface
- 1 cup chopped or torn fresh basil
- Heat oven to 400° F. Oil a baking sheet. In the bowl of a standing mixer on low, or in a large bowl using a spoon, combine the flour, yeast, salt, pepper, and Parmesan.
- Add the beer and mix just until the dough comes together. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle with the basil and knead gently just until incorporated. Shape the dough into a round loaf and transfer to the prepared sheet.
- Bake until the loaf is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Turn the loaf onto a wire rack. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.