- 1 14.5-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt
- 1 1-pound package refrigerated pizza dough
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced, or 4 ounces shredded provolone
- 8 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Heat oven to 450° F. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine the tomatoes and their juices, the oregano, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, crushing the tomatoes with a wooden spoon until the sauce thickens, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Shape the dough into one 12- to 14-inch round and place on a baking sheet. Cover with the sauce and top with the cheese.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and sprinkle with the basil. Slice and divide among individual plates.