- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (about 8 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can lentils, rinsed
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 English cucumber, chopped
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- Cook the barley according to the package directions. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, toss the lettuce with half the lemon dressing. In a second medium bowl, toss the barley, lentils, carrot, onion, olives, and cucumber with the remaining lemon dressing. Serve the barley mixture over the lettuce and sprinkle with the goat cheese.