- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup apricot jam or preserves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 4-pound chicken, cut into pieces
- Heat oven to 400° F. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, jam, vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels. Arrange the pieces in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and season with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Pour the barbecue sauce over the chicken. Roast, spooning the sauce over the chicken once, until the chicken is cooked through, about 1 hour.