- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- 1 3/4 cups white whole-wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 3/4 cups wheat bran
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (from about 4 medium)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Heat oven to 375° F. Coat a standard 12-cup muffin tin with butter (or cooking spray, if desired). Whisk together the flour, wheat bran, sugar, sunflower seeds, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the banana, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined and evenly moistened (do not overmix). Fold in the blueberries.
- Divide among the muffin cups. (The batter should come up to the rim of each cup.) Bake, rotating once, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin (avoiding a blueberry if possible) comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.