- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound dried penne
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds beefsteak tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 15 ounces ricotta
- Heat oven to 400° F. Oil a 4-quart casserole dish with 2 teaspoons of the oil. Cook the penne according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cream. Add the cooked penne and toss.
- Spoon the pasta into the prepared casserole dish and top with dollops of the ricotta. Bake until bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes.