- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 pounds sourdough or country bread, cut into thick slices
- Unsalted butter for the baking dish
- 2 tablespoons raw or turbinado sugar
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Stir in the pecans and raisins. Add the bread and soak, turning occasionally, until it has absorbed most of the custard, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Arrange the bread in an overlapping pattern in a buttered 3-quart baking dish. Pour over any remaining liquid, nuts, and raisins from the bowl. Sprinkle with the raw sugar.
- Bake until set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Serve warm, with additional maple syrup.