- 1 ounce Parmesan
- 2 slices country bread (about 2 ounces total)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
- 8 small chicken cutlets (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced into 8 pieces
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Process the Parmesan in a food processor until finely chopped, 10 to 15 seconds. Add the bread, 2 teaspoons of the oil, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Process until medium-size crumbs form, 20 to 30 seconds.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, in batches, until golden brown on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. (Reduce heat if the skillet starts to become very dark.) Turn the chicken and cook, 30 seconds more.
- Spread 3/4 cup of the marinara in the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish. Top with 4 of the cutlets, 4 of the mozzarella slices, and 4 of the basil leaves; repeat. Top with the bread crumbs.
- Bake, covered with foil, until the sauce is bubbling, 15 minutes. Uncover and bake until the bread crumbs are golden brown, 15 minutes more.
- Serve warm, with a salad if desired.