- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 small butternut or acorn squashes, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups vegetable stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Melt the butter over low heat. Stir in the leeks and cook until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the zest, squash, and nutmeg and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat, covered, until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Puree in a food processor or blender in two batches. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.