- 1 pound asparagus
- 1/2 pound thin spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can chicken broth
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large pan of lightly salted water to boiling over high heat. Peel the asparagus stalks and trim the ends. Cut the stalks into 2-inch pieces.
- Blanch the asparagus in the boiling water for 3 minutes or until bright green and crisp-tender when tested with a small knife. Remove with a slotted spoon and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Add the spaghetti to the boiling water and cook according to the label directions until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour.
- Add the broth and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Blend in the goat cheese and lemon peel.
- Toss the spaghetti with the asparagus, sauce, and half the Parmesan. Serve with pepper to taste and the remaining Parmesan.