- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 medium-size tart red apples (such as Rome or Empire), unpeeled, cored, and diced
- 1 7-ounce bag diced mixed dried fruit
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen Parmesan garlic bread (such as Pepperidge Farm), thawed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking up the meat as it cooks. When it's brown, add the apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the dried fruit, sage, and nutmeg. Fold in the bread and add the broth.
- Lightly butter a 3-quart baking dish or casserole. Spoon in the stuffing. (The stuffing can be made to this point up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Place the stuffing in the oven while the turkey is cooking (or in a preheated 350º F oven) and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until the top is golden and toasted.