- 8 cups thinly-sliced, unpeeled apples (about 6-8 depending on size), such as Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Braeburn, Jonagold, McIntosh, or Pink Lady
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 2 batches Basic Flaky Pie Crust, chilled
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar (optional)
- Heat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, combine the apples, flour, sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice and toss gently until combined.
- Roll one batch of pie dough into an 11-12" round. Gently fit the dough into a 9” pie plate and trim the edges, leaving a 1” overhang on all sides. Fill with the apple mixture, mounding it slightly in the center. Dot with butter. Roll out second batch of dough and place it over the pie. Trim the edges, then crimp with your fingers or a fork.
- Use a sharp knife to cut small vents in the top crust. Brush entire surface with beaten egg, then sprinkle with turbinado sugar if using. Place pie on a baking sheet and transfer to oven. Bake for 15 minutes, until crust is just beginning to brown, then lower temperature to 375°F and bake until filling is bubbling and crust is deep golden brown, 45–50 minutes more.
- Transfer pie to a rack and cool for at least 1 hour before serving.