15 Anti-Aging Face Oils That Actually Work, According to Derms and Thousands of Beauty Lovers
This is because face oils augment the skin's sebaceous glands, which work to "seal in moisture, soften hair, and make skin feel smooth," says Brendan Camp, MD, a New York-based dermatologist. "They prevent the evaporation of water from the skin to keep it hydrated so that skin is plump and bouncy. Oils improve skin texture by smoothing out cracks and crevices." The end result? Smoother and more youthful-looking skin.
If you're worried that face oils may make your skin more oily, don't be. "The right facial oil can help clear pores of excess sebum and reduce inflammation—which is one of the main causes of acne," says dermatologist Debra Jaliman, MD. "The correct facial oil can help balance out your skin's pH, and many of them have antibacterial properties and contain antioxidants which will improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and the overall texture of the skin."
When it comes to choosing an anti-aging face oil, dermatologist Joshua Zeichner, MD, recommends picking an oil based on your skincare needs. "If you have oily or acne-prone skin, stay away from oils with saturated fats because they can lead to breakouts," he says. People who want to hydrate and improve the texture of their skin should choose an option that has rosehip oil in it, while those of us who want to tighten loose skin should opt for almond oil, which Dr. Jaliman says is rich in vitamin E.
While Dr. Zeichner says anti-aging face oils can be used in both the morning and evenings, Dr. Camp suggests you apply the oil right after washing your face, before applying sunscreens or moisturizers, since "the product placement should begin with the lightest or thinnest product and end with the heaviest or thickest."
Ready to add one to your skincare routine? With these dermatologist guidelines in mind, we rounded up 15 top-rated anti-aging face oils that customers say work wonders on their skin. Keep reading to shop them all.
These are the best face oils for anti-aging to shop now:
- Best Overall: SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic
- Best Dermatologist-Approved Option: Trilogy Certified Organic Rosehip Oil
- Best for Oily Skin: The Ordinary Deciem 100 Organic Cold-Pressed Rosehip Seed Oil
- Best for Acne-Prone Skin: Sunday Riley U.F.O Ultra-Clarifying Face Oil
- Best Option With Retinol: Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Face Oil
- Best for Dry Skin: Herbivore Phoenix Rosehip Anti-Aging Face Oil
- Best Organic Option: Health Priority Organic Vitamin E Oil
- Best Cruelty-Free Option: Farmacy Honey Grail Ultra-Hydrating Face Oil
- Best Affordable Option: Palmer's Skin Therapy Oil
- Best Splurge: La Mer The Renewal Oil
- Best for Inflammation: Now Solutions Sweet Almond Oil
- Best for Hyperpigmentation: Biossance Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil
- Best for Sensitive Skin: Drunk Elephant Virgin Marula Antioxidant Facial Oil
- Best CBD Option: Josie Maran Skin Dope Argan Oil + 100 mg CBD
- Best Body Oil: Tata Harper Revitalizing Body Oil