Dainty details, slight silhouettes, and subtle sparkle help round out a feminine wardrobe or add a delicate touch to a more minimal one.
1. Looks understated even with a mother-of-pearl–and-diamond face. To buy: Emporio Armani gold-plated stainless-steel watch, $595, bloomingdales.com.
2. A glam crystal-bordered design from the takes-a-licking watchmaker. To buy: Timex stainless-steel watch, $105, timex.com.
3. The best of both worlds: modern technology in etched stainless steel that feels vintage. To buy: BCBG Max Azria watch, $135, bcbg.com for stores.
4. The link bracelet doubles as a piece of fine jewelry. To buy: Coach gold-plated watch, $398, macys.com for stores.
5. Two dials so you can keep track of two time zones. To buy: TJMaxx stainless-steel watch, $60, tjmaxx.com for stores.
6. Stainless steel and sterling silver nicely frame the face of diamonds and blue mother-of-pearl. To buy: David Yurman watch, $2,400, 212-752-4255.
7. Rock around the clock with a dial of sterling-silver studs. To buy: Croton gold-plated watch, $295, 866-274-3673.
2 of 4Craig Cutler
Timeless elements, like refined Roman numerals and traditional shapes, are appropriate now—and will be appropriate with whatever you’re wearing 30 years from now.
1. The non-reflective, scratch-resistant sapphire crystal (the highest quality around) gives this piece heirloom potential. To buy: Tiffany & Co. leather watch, $1,950, tiffany.com.
2. Crocodile-embossed leather adds a touch of luxury to an affordable model. To buy: Pedre watch, $110, pedrewatch.com.
3. You’ll never have to replace a battery again. This design, made of stainless steel and rose gold, is solar powered. To buy: Citizen Eco-Drive watch, $450, citizenwatch.com for stores.
4. Push the boundaries of convention (just a little bit) with a sharp-edged face and rose gold–plated stainless steel. To buy: Boss Black watch, $295, hugoboss.com for stores.
5. This Swiss-made stainless-steel automatic has a 38-hour power reserve. To buy: Raymond Weil watch, $1,995, raymond-weil.com for stores.
6. Get the gravitas of a gold watch, minus the huge credit-card debt. To buy: Freelook gold-plated stainless-steel watch, $200, freelookwatches.com.
3 of 4Craig Cutler
These oversize styles have the qualities you look for in a gentleman: They’re striking and smart, and they leave a lasting impression.
1. Slick and shiny, from the stainless-steel links to the opaline black dial, this wristwatch will look polished even after years of wear. To buy: Baume & Mercier watch, $2,750, baume-et-mercier.com for stores.
2. In rose gold–plated stainless steel, this minimalist beauty (which features a stopwatch) combines flawless form and function. To buy: Movado watch, $850, movado.com.
3. Rosy-colored steel elevates a sporty chronograph, making it fit for 24/7 wear. To buy: Fossil watch, $135, fossil.com.
4. It hails from the men’s department, but this chunky watch will certainly look cool on you, too. To buy: Claiborne alloy watch, $57, jcp.com.
5. This update of the iconic 1945 Carrera timepiece has the same enduring qualities: an automatic function, easy-to-read blue numbers, and a textured dial. To buy: Tag Heuer stainless-steel watch, $2,700, nordstrom.com.
6. With a band made of supple calfskin, this Swiss-made keepsake has glow-in-the-dark hands. To buy: Georg Jensen watch, $1,400, georgjensen.com.
4 of 4Craig Cutler
With quirky, unexpected details and notice-me styling, this group of the latest and greatest will keep your everyday look up-to-the-minute.
1. Lightweight and dramatic, the black ceramic bezel and band work with everything. To buy: Coach stainless-steel watch, $498, macys.com for stores.
2. This rose gold–plated mesh band has as much attitude as a bold bangle. To buy: Pandora watch, $295, pandora.net.
3. A bright ostrich wraparound strap lends whimsy to a serious face. To buy: Sasha Rhett gold-plated watch,$269, sasharhett.com.
4. This double-dial pick manages to look delicate and authoritative. To buy: Philip Stein gold-plated stainless-steel watch, $695, bloomingdales.com. Philip Stein wine lizard watch strap, $110, bloomingdales.com. 5. The ultimate dressy watch: The unfussy satin strap goes with tuxedo jackets or colorful gowns. To buy: Boss Black watch, $195, hugoboss.com for stores.
6. The Parisian fashion house makes its mark with an H-shaped case. To buy: Hermès watch of calfskin and gold-plated stainless steel, $2,450, hermes.com for stores.
7. A time machine with a cool, futuristic vibe, thanks to the black mirrored face. To buy: Georg Jensen leather watch, $750, georgjensen.com.
You May Like
Real Simple Newsletters
Get tips, inspiration and special offers delivered to your inbox.