When you hear the words “glitter” and “makeup” in the same sentence, you might be transported back to high school (remember those giant body glitter rollerballs?) or even a former dance recital (we’re sure you killed it). Turns out, there are more sophisticated ways to wear the glitter trend (whew!) that’s back... and bigger and better than ever. New York City-based makeup artist Katie Jane Hughes created three quick looks here. They’re playful and not meant for everyday wear, but could be just right for Valentine’s Day or another festive occasion.
FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
On your cheeks...
- Grab some glitter gel that’s safe for eyes and skin. Here, we're using Lemonhead Silverlake, a silver holographic glitter paste ($22; getlemonhead.com).
- Using your fingers, tap it onto cheekbones. Silver looks especially pretty on fair skin tones, while copper and gold dazzles on darker ones.
- If you overdose on glitter,use a piece of tape to gently remove any unwanted particles.
- Keep the rest of your look simple—brush your brows up, apply mascara, and slick on some lip balm.
Under your eyes...
- Using the same glitter gel (this time in Dirty Penny) and a tiny makeup brush, draw an inverted triangle under the center of your lower lashes. Pair this look with a bronzy smoky eye or clean lids and mascara.
Over your eyeliner...
- Using a fine-tipped eyeliner brush, trace the glitter over black liquid eyeliner using short dashes, winging it just past the outer corner of your eye. This is an easy way to kick up your day look for night. The shade we're using here is Lemonhead Spacepaste in Mulholland, a gold-flecked pink.