Extending Hair Color
Rich color makes hair look healthy, shiny, and thicker and can even brighten a face. But within a month, fading or visible roots can sour the effect.
- To keep your shade vibrant longer, use shampoos and conditioners formulated for colored hair; they contain gentle cleansing agents that won't remove color from the hair shafts.
- Once a week, you can swap in a color-depositing shampoo, which leaves behind a layer of semi-permanent pigment for a subtle boost. (Don't use one every day, however, as those pigments can build up and alter the professional color.)
- When roots begin to show, apply temporary color with an easy liquid touch-up wand. Dab directly onto the roots, then comb the strands to distribute (extra benefit: hair looks thicker). The no-commitment shade will wash out during the next shampoo.
1. Temporary color wand.
ColorMark (available in 12 shades), $22, colormarkpro.com.
2. Daily leave-in conditioner.
Nexxus Dualiste Color Protection and Intense Hydration Leave-In Conditioning Spray, $12 at drugstores.
3. Shampoo for colored hair.
L'Oréal Paris Hair Expertise EverPure Sulfate-Free Color Care Smooth Shampoo, $7 at drugstores.