Prepping for the holidays is hard. From school parties to family gatherings, the last thing on your mind is your hair, which is why this updo is the perfect solution for looking pulled together fast without much effort. No time to wash? No problem—this style works great on dirty hair and even helps conceal oily roots.
Follow These Steps
- Spritz dry hair all over with a texturizing spray, like OUAI Texturizing Hair Spray ($26, sephora.com) to add grip, then divide hair into two sections.
- Grab one side and split it into two sections to make the rope braid.
- Twist both pieces of the section to the right until taught, then cross the right piece over the left piece. Continue all the way down and secure with a hair tie. Good to know: Going in opposite directions locks the braid in place and prevents it from unwinding.
- Repeat this same technique on the other side and secure with an elastic.
- Use bobby pins or hair pins to secure the twists against your head. Alternate pinning up each side, crossing over and around each other to make it look more intricate, until all of the braids are secure.
- Hide the tails of the braids by tucking them underneath your hair with a pin.
- When you have the time, or for a more formal event, pull out a few loose pieces around the hairline for an ethereal look. You can also stick in a few jeweled pins or fresh flowers to make it extra festive.