15 Curly Girl-Approved Products to Help You on Your Curly Girl Method Journey
Give your curls the care they deserve with these Curly Girl Method products—your hair will thank you later.
If you have curly hair, wavy tresses, or textured locks—if you have hair on your head at all, really—it’s time you learned about The Curly Girl Method. For those unfamiliar with the hair management program, the easiest way to describe it is the “undoing” of your hair. With the system, users stop washing their hair in the traditional sense, forgoing shampoo, heat styling tools, and even brushes. Instead, they focus their efforts on repairing damage and allowing their natural hair texture to shine through.
The haircare system was brought to life in Lorraine Massey’s wildly popular book Curly Girl: The Handbook. It has become quite the sensation in recent years thanks to thousands of before and after photos posted to social media by devout followers showing just what kind of magic the Method (paired with Curly Girl Method products) can work.
A huge focus of the program is finding Curly Girl–approved products and learning which haircare ingredients to avoid and which hair-nourishing ingredients to use instead. If you want to get in on the Curly Girl Method, it’s critical that you do your homework first. Buy the book, join the dedicated Facebook groups, learn the lingo, and then get on your path to more defined curls by purchasing a few Curly Girl Method products. Want a little help? Here are a few haircare goodies you can stock your bathroom with to give you better hair tomorrow and for the rest of your life.
RELATED: 6 Reasons to Wear Your Hair Curly
Curly Girl Method-approved conditioners
While shampoo should be avoided with the Method, conditioner should be your hair’s best friend. The Curly Girl Method calls for conditioner to be liberally slathered on to help moisturize curls and bring them back to life. Here are a few time-tested, favorite conditioners that Curly Girl Method followers swear by.
1. Suave Essentials Conditioner in Tropical Coconut. To buy: $6; amazon.com.
2. Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Curl Defining Conditioner. To buy: From $11; amazon.com.
3. Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Conditioner. To buy: $7; amazon.com.
4. Alberto VO5 Herbal Escapes Conditioner. To buy: $7; amazon.com.
Curly Girl-approved gels
If you join the Curly Girl revolution, you’re going to have to give up most of your styling products. Except, of course, for gel, which is a key ingredient in shaping curls. Here are a few to help your curls stand out and your frizz stand down.
1. Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel. To buy: From $9; amazon.com.
2. Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel. To buy: $6; amazon.com.
3. Garnier Fructis Style Curl Treat Shaping Jelly. To buy: $7; amazon.com.
4. LA Looks Extreme Sport Alcohol-Free Hair Gel. To buy: $8; amazon.com.
Curly Girl–approved shampoo
Traditional shampoo is one of the most important products to avoid with the Curly Girl Method. That’s because much of the Method’s teachings say that sulfates, often used in shampoo, can cause damage to hair and ruin curls forever. If you simply must wash your hair, as long as you buy a sulfate-free shampoo, you should be in the clear. Here are a few Curly Girl Method–approved products you can still use as part of your weekly washing.
1. Pantene Pro-V Rose Water Shampoo. To buy: $10; amazon.com.
2. Yes To Cucumbers Colour Protect Shampoo. To buy: $12; amazon.com.
3. L'Oréal Paris EverPure Sulfate-Free Volume Shampoo. To buy: $5; amazon.com.
4. Shea Moisture Curl and Shine Shampoo. To buy: $6; amazon.com.
Curly Girl styling tools
Though almost all styling tools are discouraged, there are still a few things you can have in your haircare arsenal to groom your curls. Here are a few Curly Girl Method-approved styling tools to keep in the bathroom.
1. Curly Girl Microfiber Hair Towel. To buy: $15; amazon.com.
2. Bed Head Curls in Check Diffuser Hair Dryer. To buy: $34; amazon.com.
3. Onedor Wide Tooth Wooden Comb. To buy: $12; amazon.com.