10 Tricks to Preserving Your Blowout
There's no need to wash your hair every day.
This article originally appeared on MIMI.
It's no secret that I don't wash my hair every day. In fact, I'll usually go a few days in between each shampoo to save time in the morning (no judgement!).
Hear me out. Experts say shampooing less often trains your hair to produce less oil over time—and ultimately makes your hair healthier. It'll also protect your hair color from fading and save you precious rent money. Sweet deal, right? So, if you would rather spend more time sleeping in than styling your hair, listen up. We're offering ten tips that will make your salon-worthy blowout last through Monday, courtesy of Halli Bivona of the John Barrett Salon at Bergdorf Goodman.
1. Use a cleansing oil shampoo. It gives the most intense clean without stripping hair of its essential oils. Recommended: Shu Uemura Anti-Oil Astringent Cleanser.
2. Only apply conditioner to your ends. It will get the moisture to the driest areas of your hair while avoiding excess oil on your roots. Recommended: Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil Conditioner.
3. Limit the amount of product and hair spray. The less product, the less likely your hair is to feel greasy or dirty.
4. Sleep on a silk pillow or loosely wrap your hair in a silk scarf. This will reduce friction to your hair and extend the life of your style. Recommended: Silk Lady Organic Silk Pillowcase.
5. Use a one and a half inch curling iron on large sections of your hair to boost your strands with minimal effort. Recommended: Sultra The Bombshell Curling Iron.
6. Spray dry shampoo on your roots before going to bed. It will absorb oil before it becomes noticeable. Recommended: Pssssst! Instant Dry Shampoo.
7. Sleep with your hair in a loose top knot to preserve both the volume and body. Make sure to use a hair tie that doesn't snag or dent your blowout. Recommended: Emi Jay Hair Ties.
8. Flip your head over and lightly tease your hair with a wide tooth comb. It will give strands that have fallen limp a naturally voluminous lift.
9. Hide problem areas with a hair accessory. Recommended: The Body Shop Detangling Comb.
10. Pop a few velcro rollers all over your head and hit them with a blow dryer on low heat. Let them cool down while getting dressed or doing your makeup and remove. Recommended: Recommended: Conair Self Grip Velcro Rollers.