Braids are a simple way to dress up hair fast. They’re also great at hiding dirty roots. But if you’re tired of the usual three strand braid or even the more challenging French braid, you might want to try your hand at a fishtail braid. While it is a little more time consuming, it’s actually easier than both of its better-known counterparts—we promise! While this tutorial shows you how to wear the style in a high ponytail, it also looks great worn low and to the side.
Follow These Steps
- Brush hair into a super high ponytail and secure with a clear elastic. Any hair texture works with this braid so no need to straighten strands beforehand.
- Divide the ponytail into two even sections.
- Grab a small piece from the back of one side and cross it over to the inside of the other section.
- Repeat on the other side and continue all the way down, making sure to keep the hair taut as you go. (This helps give the braid definition.) Finish with a clear elastic.
- Gently tug on each side of the braid all the way down to add width and texture, which makes the style look more relaxed.
- If your hair is extra long or heavy, help the braid stand tall by sliding a bobby pin up through the elastic and into the braid so that it sits on top of it.