Do you basically live in a ponytail? After all, it’s the easiest way to get your hair out of your face and look semi-pulled together fast. But the basic style doesn’t have to be boring (or look sloppy). These three easy tweaks—spotted on the runways at New York Fashion Week—will take the classic style to a new level.
Do the Twist
This intricate ponytail (seen at Rebecca Minkoff) may look meticulous, but it’s actually easier than a three-strand braid. Plus, the more imperfect it looks, the better.
- Spritz a texturizer spray (dry shampoo works, too), like Umberto Dry Texture Spray ($10, target.com) from roots to ends to add grip and create messy texture.
- Next, pull hair into a low ponytail and secure with a thick black hair tie, like Goody SlideProof Flat Elastics ($6, target.com).
- Split the length of the ponytail into two sections and twist each one (going in opposite directions) until taut.
- Then circle the two twisted sections around each other all the way to the end of hair and secure with a clear elastic.
- Add some flair by tying a skinny piece of leather around the base of the braid.
Take a Bow
A hair accessory quickly jazzes up an otherwise blah hair day, and the one used at Kate Spade can most likely be found in your holiday wrapping stash: a black velvet ribbon (any dark color will do).
- Loosely pull hair back over ears into a low ponytail and secure with an elastic.
- Tie the ribbon into a large, floppy bow around the elastic for a sophisticated finishing touch.
If you know how to create a ponytail, then you already know how to create this style seen on the Ryan Roche fall runway. Its detail adds dimension for a modern take on the classic ponytail.
- First, smooth hair into a ponytail, right between your temples, and secure with a clear elastic, like Goody Mary Elastics ($3, walmart.com).
- Then, at the nape of the neck, tie another elastic onto the ponytail. Gently tug at the hair between the two elastics to rough it up.
- Finish by spritzing the whole ponytail with a texturizing spray for volume and matte texture.