How To: Fold a Dress Shirt
Folding your dress shirts instead of hanging them won't just free up precious inches of closet space, it'll help cut down on wrinkles (and dreaded ironing time). Follow the simple steps in this video for a neat, flat fold.
What You Need
- dress shirt, flat surface
Follow These Steps
- Lay the shirt flat, making sure it’s buttoned up Fully buttoning the shirt will ensure a tight, wrinkle-free fold.
- Fold the sleeves to the middle of the back Fold in each sleeve horizontally, so that the cuffs cross over the middle of the back. Take care not to fold in the shirt’s side seams.
- Fold the sides to the middle Fold in both sleeves again, this time bringing the shirt’s side seams in evenly from shoulder to hem, so they meet under the collar, forming a broad V shape there. (The sides won’t necessarily meet farther down the shirt.)
- Fold in half lengthwise Holding the bottom of the shirt with two hands, fold shirt in half lengthwise from the bottom up, so that the bottom edge of the shirt rests below the bottom of the collar. (Do this once or twice, depending on the length of the shirt and the depth of your storage space.) Flip folded shirt over and store.