You’re not choosing just a doctor; you’re also choosing a doctor’s office, so ask about the staff, too. And call your state medical-board office (go to fsmb.org for a national directory) to find out whether the doctor is board certified in the particular treatment you’re seeking. That means: If you need cancer treatment, make sure he’s not a board-certified podiatrist. (This has happened.)
What to Ask
- What’s the usual waiting time in your office? What’s your policy on emergency visits?
- How many times have you performed (procedure X)?
- How do you feel about patients seeking second opinions?
- Can I speak to previous patients who had successful procedures?
- Who answers questions after I leave the office? Will you be available, or will I have to speak to a nurse or an assistant?
- Do I have to go somewhere else for blood work?