For information on donors, past speeches, and public statements from any politician in your district, go to the nonpartisan website votesmart.org and search by ZIP code. But if you get a chance to quiz a local candidate in person―say, at a community meeting or at your bus stop when he’s handing out flyers―try these ideas.
What to Ask
- What do you consider to be the number one issue affecting our community?
- What will you do to address it?
- What will your goals be if you’re elected?
- What steps will you take to ensure you meet your goals?
- How do you feel about (issue X)?
- During your last campaign, you were a big supporter of (issue X), but you cut funding in this area. Why?
- How will you bridge the partisan gap and work across party lines?