A Babysitter or Nanny
Ask open-ended questions about how the sitter or nanny would handle specific scenarios at home. And review her references yourself, even if she has been approved by an agency that checks referrals.
What to Ask
- Why do you like caring for children? How did you get into it?
- What would you do if the baby didn’t stop crying or wouldn’t eat?
- What would you do if a child threw food at you? How would you react or discipline her?
- Are you trained in child or infant safety, first aid, and CPR?
- How will you and I communicate? By phone? Will you leave me written notes about what happened during the day?
- What’s your plan if there’s an emergency?
- What if you’re sick or your kids are sick and you can’t make it?
- Can I talk to other people you have worked for?