The Right Questions to Ask
Personally inquire about the teacher’s background. You’ll learn more about her character this way than by judging her credentials on paper. If the school doesn’t allow you to choose a teacher, at least find out what she expects from you and your child.
What to Ask
- How did you get into teaching? What do you like about it?
- What’s on the curriculum? What activities do you do?
- What does my child need to take to class?
- Will my child be taking any standardized tests this year? If so, how can I help him prepare?
- What are your expectations for my child? What improvements or achievements do you hope to see in him this year?
- How are the kids assessed? Solely by testing or by effort and participation?
- How are students disciplined?
- How and when can I contact you with questions or concerns?