The Right Questions to Ask
A TherapistBefore you pay for therapy, request a free, short face-to-face or phone consultation to be sure you’re comfortable with the therapist. If he refuses, do you really want a therapist who is this inflexible? Also, therapy is a two-way street, so you should both want to see if it’s a good fit.
What to Ask
- Do you specialize in (issue X)? (Say, marriage or addiction.)
- How have you worked to solve it in the past? Can you give me examples of what you did?
- Do you focus on brief or long-term therapy? How long do you generally see a patient?
- What type of therapy do you practice? What’s your approach?
- How do you assess if I’m progressing?
- Can I get in touch with you between visits? What about in an emergency or after hours?
- Do you take insurance? Do you offer a sliding scale?
- What if I miss an appointment? Do I have to pay?
Next: A Babysitter or Nanny
Most Popular Galleries
“Ever had nasty words spread about you at work? And were those words published as front-page news in Politico, with your colleagues describing you as “a source of widespread frustration and anxiety,”...”
So maybe you can’t change your health overnight. But you can get a head start.
Say what you want about The Bachelorette star Andi Dorfman, but she got what she...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
The field of medicine has made great strides over the last century, but it seem...
If ever you needed an excuse to vacation, let these luxury pools be it! In searc...
from POPSUGAR Home
The next hot superfood just might be bird seed. Read more: Quin...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
“When we first saw this flat, it was pretty dark and in bad condition, but we f...