The Best Way to Keep White Clothes White
Follow these do’s and don’ts from Chantal Kruczek, director of housekeeping for the Four Seasons Resort in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Do wash white items every time you wear them, even if you don’t think they’re dirty. “We always leave something behind―perspiration, perfumes, body oils,” says Kruczek.
- Do pretreat stains with a stain remover.
- Don’t use soap and water before pretreating.
- Do use the cool setting of the dryer.
- Don’t overdry or whites will turn gray.
- Do hang washed clothes outside if you can. The sun is a gentle, natural bleach.
- Don’t use household bleach too often. It will whiten, but it can also break down natural fibers and cause yellowing.