Best Ways to Enjoy Summer
The Best Way to Make a Traditional Lobster Roll
The Morrisons of Morrison’s Maine Chowder House, in Freeport, Maine, have been hauling in their catch for more than 100 years.
Steal their formula for the perfect lobster roll.
- Use the freshest lobster meat you can find. Ask your local fish store when its lobsters are delivered.
- Get a freshly baked New England–style hot-dog bun. Unlike a typical roll, this is split on the top and white on the sides,
not crusty. (New England split-top rolls, $18 for twelve, hancockgourmetlobster.com.)
- Butter both sides of the bun, then grill each side (like a grilled cheese sandwich).
- Line the roll with lettuce for crunch (iceberg does the trick), then fill with lobster. Morrison’s lets the succulent meat
speak for itself, but some prefer a little mayo on the side.
- Open mouth. Insert heaven.
Most Popular Galleries
Everyone agrees embarrassment can be excruciating. But is the emotion all bad? Discover its surprising upside—and learn how to get over it more easily—with this expert advice for kids and adults.