First Aid for Common Injuries
Potential household hazards include cleaning supplies, carbon monoxide, and pesticides. Bites and stings can also be poisonous to some people.
What to do immediately: If a person is unconscious or having trouble breathing, call 911. In other cases, call the Poison Control Centers’ national hotline (800-222-1222). Be prepared to tell what substance was involved, how much was taken and when, and the age and the weight of the victim.
What not to do: Wait until symptoms appear to call for help. And don’t give ipecac syrup or try to induce vomiting. The poison could cause additional damage when it comes back up. The victim shouldn’t eat or drink anything, unless the hotline operator tells you otherwise.
When to seek medical attention: Always.