FeaturesThe Spend-Nothing Makeover, pg. 202
Real Simple helps a Massachusetts family spruce up the whole house with pieces they already had in the garage, basement, and attic.
Stopping the Clock, pg. 212
Catching a breather in your jam-packed schedule is harder than ever. Four women reveal how they carve out time for themselves and their families. Plus 12 painless time-savers.
A Colorful Character, pg. 218
The monotone staples in your fall wardrobe (beige, black, gray) can get downright monotonous. Reenergize your wardrobe ― and yourself ― with strategic shots of color.
Healing Waters, pg. 224
Alexandra Morton's passion for whales led her to a remote island home where she has found tragedy, fulfillment, and a purity of purpose.
Hot Tomatoes, pg. 232
The end of summer has an upside: the ripest, juiciest fruits (yes, fruits) of the year. Enjoy the best of the season with these six foolproof recipes.
Meals Made Easy, pg. 243
One bird, many fall meals: Sage-Roasted Turkey Breast and Gravy today, Turkey Potpie with Biscuit Crust tomorrow, and Turkey Sandwiches, Pizza, or Pasta anytime.
- Storage ottomans, pg. 85
- The best handheld vacuums, pg. 91
- Keep bright colors bright, pg. 95
- Filtering your water, pg. 98
- Straight skirts that fit, pg. 107
- Comparison clothes shopping: catalog, in-store, on-line, pg. 111
- A trip to the tailor, pg. 117
- Multitasking cosmetics, pg. 123
- Cleansing cloths for every skin type, pg. 127
- Relax at the office, pg. 131
- What to look for in a mental-health professional, pg. 137
- Spend less on prescriptions, pg. 141
- Reap the health benefits of extra-virgin olive oil, pg. 147
- Quick, nutritious breakfasts, pg. 153
- Mushrooms 101, pg. 159
- Save big at warehouse clubs, pg. 163
- Coping with neighbors, pg. 171
- Words we mix up, pg. 179
- Digital cameras made easy, pg. 185
- Sick of stumbling over boots and backpacks? Clear up that cluttered entryway. pg. 191
Simple SolutionsHealthy Habit, pg. 64
Tea that tastes great ― and is great for you
New Uses for Old Things, pg. 67
Repurpose newspapers and salad spinners
Home Printing Press, pg. 68
Software that turns out invitations in a snap
Products of the Month, pg. 70
From a colander-lid pot to a quick gray-hair fix
Minding Your Manners, pg. 76
What to do with those olive pits and shrimp tails at parties
Garden Guide, pg. 78
A shrub for all seasons
Fake It, Don't Make It, pg. 80
PrioritiesShe Earns More, pg. 261
- A San Francisco couple wants to look to the future, but one partner's career struggles are blocking the view. Our advisers help them see their way.
- Are you a pushy person or a people-pleaser? Believe it or not, both personality types can coexist peacefully. Here's how.