FeaturesOutdoor Rooms, pg. 140
With its sunny days and balmy nights, summer is the perfect time to relax and entertain outside. Here are 14 backyard-makeover ideas you can finish in an afternoon ― and enjoy all season long.
Easy Wear, Easy Care, pg. 146
Look cool and stay cool. These lightweight tops and airy skirts offer casual comfort and wash-and-wear convenience ― no ironing needed.
Breaking the Habit, pg. 152
Out-of-control behaviors dominated the lives of these five women. Here's how they fought back and won.
Life's a Picnic, pg. 158
Newfangled recipes for eight picnic classics ― oven "fried" chicken, baby-back ribs, cherry pie, and more.
Just Add Water, pg. 166
Whether you go to the beach, a favorite lake, or the local pool, Real Simple has 35 ideas to get you in the swim of summer.
3 Days, 3 Dishes, pg. 179
Sirloin steak and fresh asparagus star in a three-day family menu.
In Every Issue
- Thoughts, pg. 6
- Editor's Note, pg. 22
- Contributors, pg. 28
- Your Words, pg. 31
How do you make the most of summer?
- Access, pg. 198
- Real Hard, pg. 200
- Quick Fix, pg. 39
Refreshing your flag
- Inspected Gadgets, pg. 40
- Fans for any room
- Cleaning Up, pg. 44
Summer stain removal
- The Organized Life, pg. 50 Glove compartment
- The Gracious Give, pg. 54
Gifts for a new mother
- Fake It, Don't Make It, pg. 56
Dijon Potato Salad
- PLUS: A lip balm for the beach, a pretravel checklist, a compact salad spinner, new uses for old things, and more.
- Straw bags, pg. 59
- Shower gels, pg. 65
- Cotton towels, pg. 69
- A kitchen garden, pg. 77
- Best batteries, pg. 81
- Summer classics, pg. 89
- Affordable wines, pg. 93
- How to fire people, pg. 101
- Workout clothes, pg. 107
- Pullout fitness plan, pg. 110
- Tying things to your car, pg. 119
- Wise Woman, pg. 125
Elizabeth Bing, an 88-year-old childbirth educator, on ponytails, work, and pregnancy today.
- Life Lessons, pg. 129
This Father's Day, a writer pays tribute to her film-professor dad and the world he showed her.
- Priorities, pg. 187
A young married woman in Tampa contemplates returning to school and changing careers. Two experts offer advice on handling the professional and lifestyle changes that lie ahead.
- The Joy of Commitment, pg. 193
- Barbara Sher examines the fears that keep us from committing (to relationships, jobs, homes) and shows how to start making decisions we can live with and learn from.