Staying in Touch
More Ideas for Friends
- Start a long-distance book club with a friend. Mail each other books you’ve read, with your thoughts, insights, and analyses written in the margins.
- When you send a letter or a card to a friend who’s notoriously bad at responding, try including a blank, stamped postcard, addressed to you. Even the laziest writer will find it easy to scratch out a response and drop the postcard in the mail.
- When all the critics assemble their year-end best-of lists, compile your own top-10 lineups of books to read, movies to see, and music to hear, then trade lists with a group of people whose taste you appreciate.
- Share a lazy Sunday morning. Simulate the experience of hanging out at a café together: Brew a fresh pot of coffee, toast a bagel, and settle in for some good conversation―and caffeine―over the telephone.
- Start a clothing swap with a same-size friend and mail wardrobe pieces that you know you’d both like back and forth.
- Go to the movies “together.” Each person sees the same film in her respective town on the same evening. Chat about it on the telephone afterward.
- Ritualize your visits with good friends so that scheduling problems and procrastination never cause you to miss a meeting. Choose one day a year and plan to get together on that day, every year, no matter where each of you is currently stationed.
- When keeping in touch with a large group of friends, from summer-camp pals to sorority sisters, set up a rotating schedule: Assign each person a month of the year to write a single letter to the rest of the group, photocopy it, and mail it to everyone.
Most Popular Galleries
“Ever had nasty words spread about you at work? And were those words published as front-page news in Politico, with your colleagues describing you as “a source of widespread frustration and anxiety,”...”
Personal trainer extraordinaire and former The Biggest Loser star Jillian Michae...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
The dwindling numbers of Indian girls, caused by the illegal abortion of millio...
You may be strapped for cash, but that doesn't mean your home has to be str...
from POPSUGAR Home
Apple cider vinegar + fresh ginger = awesomeness. Read more: Far...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
“We weren’t looking for a project,” says Londoner Nic Farhi, remembering first ...