How to Shop for School Supplies
Smart money-saving tips and eco-friendly advice.
6 Eco-Friendly School Supplies
1. Soy crayons. Nontoxic Prang Fun Pro Soybean Crayons are made from soybean oil. $1 for eight, stubbypencilstudio.com.
2. Paper stationery. Elephant Pooh makes odor-free (promise!) journals with paper made from pulped and processed dung. $9, gxonlinestore.org.
3. Biodegradable pens. These corn pens disintegrate completely about a year after they are thrown away. $2, grassrootsstore.com.
4. Reusable sandwich bags. Pack lunches in Wrap-N-Mat, cotton and non-PVC-vinyl–lined bags. $7, reusablebags.com.
5. Recycled scissors. Kleen Earth scissors have black handles that are made from recycled plastic. $9, amazon.com.
6. Adhesive paste. This glue by Coccoina, made of potato starch, works on paper and fabric. Plus, it is solvent-free and smells like almonds. $8, seejanework.com.
Most Popular Galleries
Everyone agrees embarrassment can be excruciating. But is the emotion all bad? Discover its surprising upside—and learn how to get over it more easily—with this expert advice for kids and adults.