Good Old-Fashioned Playtime
How to: Jump RopeRequired: A jump rope, plus three or more people
“The key is to have good rope-turners,” says Chris Holmes, a former world-champion jumper and the founder of jumpropevideos.com.
- “Pretend you have a piece of chalk in your hand and are drawing a circle on a chalkboard,” Holmes says. For two ropes, pretend you’re drawing with both hands.
- “Make sure that you never pull the ‘chalk’ away from the ‘chalkboard,’ which can cause the rope to pop and trip the jumper,” Holmes says.
- Keep a consistent rhythm; watch the jumper’s feet to set the pace.
- A beginner should start between the turners, jumping in place with her feet together before the rope has started moving.
- When you’re ready to try jumping in while the rope is turning, stand close to one turner’s shoulder and watch the arm that’s swinging the rope. As it swings down, run to the center and jump over the rope on your way there.
Next: How To: Skip a Rock
Most Popular Galleries
“Ever had nasty words spread about you at work? And were those words published as front-page news in Politico, with your colleagues describing you as “a source of widespread frustration and anxiety,”...”
Date night can take on lots of forms: extreme, creative, outdoor and offbeatR...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
We hear over and over again that stress is unhealthy. And all that talk makes u...
If you adore the eclectic, vintage-inspired look of the Urban Outfitters apartme...
from POPSUGAR Home
This dessert takes no time at all to prep, but it looks REAL fancy. ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
We have a small, narrow entry in our home that seriously lacks storage. So havi...