Good Old-Fashioned Playtime
How to: Jump RopeRequired: A jump rope, plus three or more people
“The key is to have good rope-turners,” says Chris Holmes, a former world-champion jumper and the founder of jumpropevideos.com.
- “Pretend you have a piece of chalk in your hand and are drawing a circle on a chalkboard,” Holmes says. For two ropes, pretend you’re drawing with both hands.
- “Make sure that you never pull the ‘chalk’ away from the ‘chalkboard,’ which can cause the rope to pop and trip the jumper,” Holmes says.
- Keep a consistent rhythm; watch the jumper’s feet to set the pace.
- A beginner should start between the turners, jumping in place with her feet together before the rope has started moving.
- When you’re ready to try jumping in while the rope is turning, stand close to one turner’s shoulder and watch the arm that’s swinging the rope. As it swings down, run to the center and jump over the rope on your way there.
Next: How To: Skip a Rock
Most Popular Galleries
“You *know* you ought to take the stairs instead of the elevator and floss every night… and yet, sometimes not doing those good-for-you extra steps is all the more tempting. If you’re a parent and...”
Even though William Shakespeare would have turned 450 years old today, his plays...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
For young and middle-aged adults, marijuana use may lead to cardiovascular comp...
Our recipe for instant Spring can be pulled off in just a day - no time-consumin...
from POPSUGAR Home
You can now buy a six-pack of beer flavored lollipops. Yep, we're intereste...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
When a young family moved into this 1930s house in Richmond, it was in need of ...