Fun DIY Activity Kits for Kids
These comforting activities and objects will help keep your patient in good spirits.
- Color Change Wavy Straws. These serpentine straws change color when a cool liquid is sipped through them. (And they sure make flat soda a lot more
fun to drink.) Four to a set.
To buy: $2.25, theraproducts.com.
- Yes & Know books. The magic pen reveals invisibly printed answers to quizzes, games, and puzzles. They’re one of the happiest, most mindless
ways to pass a few hours.
To buy: $2.35 each, leemagicpen.com.
- Mesh receipt pouch. Use this small zippered bag (or any resealable one) to hold the Yes & Know pens, plus sick-day staples like tissues and
a toy thermometer.
To buy: $4, containerstore.com.
- Make-a-Plate Kit. Serve her saltines on a special plate personalized with get-well wishes. Inscribe the dishwasher-safe dish, then mail it
back to the company to set the design.
To buy: $18, makitonline.com.
- Magnetic Mosaics. She can arrange the magnetic tiles into a chicken pox–covered self-portrait—and move her masterpiece from bed to floor and
back again without spillage.
To buy: $25, amazon.com.
Everyone agrees embarrassment can be excruciating. But is the emotion all bad? Discover its surprising upside—and learn how to get over it more easily—with this expert advice for kids and adults.